Descripción de la oferta
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
What will I be doing?
We’re looking for a Lead Technical Writer to grow and manage a team of technical writers within the Ecommerce business stream, which is developing solutions as part of Ocado Smart Platform (OSP). The team forms part of a wider technical communications function with the collective goal of providing best-in-class, localised documentation and information for the platform.
OSP is a large-scale, end-to-end ecommerce and fulfilment platform, which is powering leading grocery retailers around the world. As such we’re providing a wealth of content to help our retail partners adopt our platform, to help users use it, and to provide supporting content for training and onboarding. This ranges from application user guides, feature guides, configuration guides, and operating guides, as well as technical documentation, such as API or data feed references, and more.
As Lead Technical Writer you’ll become a subject matter expert for the solution developed by Ecommerce. Your role involves understanding what content is required to support the solution, and to lead the team in developing it. You’ll ensure the team adopts the standards and practices of the wider technical communications function and you’ll contribute to developing those standards and practices. You’ll act as a reviewer, editor where necessary, and coach/mentor for the writers in your stream, and you’ll also keep one eye on improving the content we provide through feedback and analysis.
You’ll also take ownership of some of the higher-level areas of the solution from a content perspective, so you’ll be writing content too.
A key aspect of the role is to be involved in planning and coordinating writers’ day-to-day work, working in Jira, and working with other stakeholders to ensure content needs are captured, and the results are delivered on time.
This is an exciting role which requires someone who has a high level of relevant experience, but who has a demonstrable understanding of modern approaches to documentation. You’ll be a content enthusiast - who knows the impact well-written content can have, and also who is looking to explore new ways of enhancing the experience of learning to use, and using, software and systems.
What you will be doing...
Product alignment and contribution
- Working closely with Product, UX and Engineering teams to ensure deliverables meet the objectives set by the business stream and the wider technical communications strategy.
- Developing an in-depth view of the solution developed by the business stream, and how it relates to other platform solutions.
- Playing a key role in developing a platform language for our solution, so that features are named in accordance with the product and communications strategy.
Team leadership and influence
- Managing and growing a high-performing team of writers, supporting individuals to thrive and the organisation to succeed, through coaching, mentoring, inspiring, feedback, and connecting people to experts in other fields.
- Recruiting and onboarding new writers when required - providing any content and structure needed to support that task.
- Helping create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the technical writers, and take ownership for their outcomes.
- You will be an example of our behaviours and values, inspiring others to do the same.
- Ensuring writers have actionable, measurable goals, aligned with product strategy and vision.
- Driving adoption of and adherence to the agreed standards and working practices of the wider technical communications function.
- Working with the team and stakeholders to ensure all required work for product updates is identified and tracked in JIRA.
- Representing the technical communications function at business stream planning meetings and help coordinate writers in the delivery of content in the development cycle.
- Ensuring the team is delivery-focussed and effort is balanced against product deadlines.
- Ensuring writers’ work is reviewed and provide editorial oversight of the wider content produced.
- Ensuring the team works collaboratively with stakeholders to understand the audiences and business needs for supporting content.
- Tracking and monitoring the effectiveness of the total content provided by writers in the business stream to ensure it works together to form coherent narratives, and to seek improvements where necessary.
- Leading writers in identifying gaps in content, or opportunities where content can help our audiences.
- Making recommendations to improve the overall content strategy for technical communications supporting our platform development.
We’re looking for someone who has strong technical writing experience and is a content enthusiast - who knows the impact well-written content can have, and also who is looking to explore new ways of enhancing the experience of learning to use, and using, the software with new and emerging approaches.
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Exceptional written English.
- Experience in managing and leading technical writers.
- Experience in writing documentation for software, such as help instructions, user guides, release notes, API documentation and references, and tutorials, according to accepted modern industry standards.
- Experience in writing for translation.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Experience in working in an agile and continuous integration development environment, following a ‘docs as code’ approach.
- Experience in defining or contributing to technical writing processes and style guides.
- Experience in content structure and strategy.
- Experience in SME and stakeholder management.
- Experience in managing tasks in JIRA.
- Excellent communication skills, to people of all levels.
- Good organisation and prioritisation skills.
Bonus points if you have experience...
- Using static site generators such as Jekyll, and writing in Markdown.
- Using Git, or other version control systems.
- Documenting APIs and other technical integration solutions.
- Working with distributed teams across multiple locations.
What can we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.