Senior Backend Engineer
Descripción de la oferta
At Returnly we help brands that care about shopper loyalty offer better product returns. We’re are a financial technology services company that builds award-winning products that drive repurchase behaviour and customer loyalty. We’re backed by smart money VCs in Fintech including some prominent members of the Paypal Mafia. Our headquarters are in San Francisco Financial District and we have offices in Chicago and Madrid. We are on a mission to de-risk online commerce and are building a team of amazingly talented people to help us do it.
About the role
At Returnly, we value you as a whole person. We care about the skillset you bring to the table, but more importantly, we care about the kind of person you are, and the culture and attitude you bring to the table. As a Backend Senior Engineer, you will help build solutions that will be used by thousands of customers. You will find success in this role if you are a seasoned software engineer who appreciates real, technical challenges and building high quality services.
What do we offer?
We have an office, and we prefer seeing each other often, but we already had a healthy WFH culture before Covid-19 came so when it happened, we just switched to every-day WFH. However, we would prefer if you live in or near Madrid so when we open the office again it won’t be a problem for you to enjoy it.
We have a very flexible approach to working hours. You can stop to go to the gym, get your little ones to or from school, meditate or do whatever you need or want. There is a need for a certain amount of overlap with Pacific Coast working hours needed for meetings and collaboration that does not fit into asynchronous communications, however we try to prioritise those, and your main collaborators are based on Spain. A lot of people at Returnly have families, we understand the sometimes unpredictable nature of life and we support everyone taking care of their loved ones and themselves, and we trust everyone to take advantage of this flexibility in a responsible way.
You will be provided with an Apple laptop and whatever you need to do your job comfortably and productively. As we are now unable to enjoy our awesome offices, special provisions to help you set up at home will be addressed.
Additionally, Returnly Spain offers some benefits to all its employees, like private medical insurance, extra vacation days, team lunches, etc. Employees can choose some extra benefits depending on seniority, like gym membership, communications at home, transport, meal….
Here’s what we look for in the attitude department
- You are a seasoned and versatile engineer, who is passionate about your work
- You have a strong sense of ownership and responsibility
- You are flexible and adaptable
- You like to solve problems
- You are a craftsman in your trade but you understand when “good enough” is enough
- You are analytical and have keen attention to details
- You have your own opinions and you are not shy about them, however you value consensus and strive to achieve it
- You lead your teammates by example, you’re the “go to” guy or gal
- You’re not afraid to change your mind given new facts, nor are you afraid to admit your mistakes
- You strive in semi-structured start-up environment with a lot of opportunities and plenty of ambiguities
- You can wear multiple hats
- You have excellent communication skills and are able to explain your ideas clearly and concisely and you enjoy sharing them
- You are very serious about the quality of your work and you ask no less from your colleagues
- You understand and are interested in both big picture and nitty-gritty details
What you'll be doing
- Design and develop back-end microservices and REST APIs for web applications using JVM ecosystem (Kotlin, Java) and other languages and frameworks (Python, Go, Ruby)
- Solve new and challenging problems around eCommerce payments, credit issuance and settlement, fraud detection, SaaS integration, data ingestion
- Practice company wide architectural, design and development best practices
- Evaluate and create new tools and techniques to facilitate effective development practices
- Work cross-functionally with some of the best people in different disciplines like data science, finance, product management, marketing & sales, design
- Build and enhance systems with automated instrumentation and monitoring
- Drive quality by writing unit, integration, and performance tests in a continuous delivery environment
- Troubleshoot cross-system issues using log data, metrics, and various analysis tools
- Consistently improve maintainability and stability of the codebase
- Live and breathe resiliency and uptime
- Communicate technical needs and interests to Product team and others
- Anticipate and act upon issues that arise, providing alternative approaches and solutions
- Set the standard for highest quality of work
- 6+ years industry experience and expert knowledge using JVM languages (Java, Kotlin, or Scala)
- Deep understanding and experience of various technologies, frameworks and libraries in the JVM ecosystem; Spring Boot is a big plus
- Experience with a functional programming is a plus
- Thorough, expert level knowledge of JVM, design patterns, distributed architecture
- Strong familiarity with *nix environment including bash and command-line tools
- Deep understanding of database methodology and database systems and strong experience with relational and non relational databases
- Familiarity with RDBMS design for both OLTP and Data Warehousing is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of web service technologies and REST best-practices
- Understanding of scalability challenges and performance of server-side code
- Ability to design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and efficient systems
- Deep understanding of distributed systems in a cloud environment, and event-driven architecture
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required. Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken is a must for communicating with a global team
- Proven track record of shipping software in a delivery-focused environment
- Experience contributing to open source projects or similar is a big plus
- Exposure to Amazon Web Services
- Prior startup experience a big plus
- Diversity - We are diverse, independent thinkers and still one team with one mission.
- Openness and empathy - We learn and grow by listening to our customers and each other.
- Integrity - We always do what’s right for our customers, Returnly and ourselves - in that order.
- Team - EQ is as important as IQ. We make time to help each other out.
- Commitment - We are curious and fearless. We own risk, outcomes and everything in between.
We'd really love to hear from you, but before applying please check the following...
Read the values section above carefully and ask yourself if this is a good match for you personally. We want you to be an ambassador of these values!
Do you have all the skills required for this role? Can you demonstrate them? Be realistic - we will only consider applications that demonstrate relevant skills and match these role requirements.
Please make sure you have included a cover letter as part of your application. We want to learn from you and your achievements before we meet you in person!